New Planning permission rules from October 1st 2008

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read the new rules on my local planning site, looks to me to open up easier extension builds.
I didnt know that the rules were about to be changed, delaying my application may just have saved me a few quid.

I will copy the meat of it here, hope its considered the right section for discussion of this subject.

Planning Permission
From 1 October 2008 an extension or addition to your home will be considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

More than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
Maximum depth of a single-storey rear extension of three metres for an attached house and four metres for a detached house.
Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
Maximum depth of a rear extension of more than one storey of three metres including ground floor.
Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
Two-storey extensions no closer than seven metres to rear boundary.
Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
Upper-floor, side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor.
On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey.
On designated* land no cladding of the exterior.
On designated* land no side extensions.

* The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

* Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

Building Regulations
Most extensions of properties require approval under the Building Regulations.

There are a number of classes of new buildings or extensions of existing buildings that do not need Building Regulations approval, i.e. are exempt from the Regulations.

Sponsored Links
Remember that these apply to permitted development, ie what you can do without needing to formally apply. They do not apply to planning applications, which will be considered as normal against the local plan.

Also, the LA will, it seems, have the opportunity to form "designated areas" where the above PD rights will not apply - eg certain new or existing housing estates or local areas of interest.

And, the proposed requirement for planning permission for front driveways over 5m2 and using impervious materials comes into effect! Bizarre.

The dimwits have relaxed the planning rules to prevent 1000's of applications and free up the planners time, and yet create a rule for driveways which will impact on many more people and require more applications than extensions ever did.

I'm sure someone is really going to pop down to Wickes for a few slabs and then apply to pave the front of their garden :rolleyes:

woody, i spoke to two planning offices and the county highway department a few weeks ago and they all said that no such planning change is coming in. The guy at the highways department went at great lengths to tell me that there was already sufficent legislation to cover run off from driveways ( i did glaze over after a while)

Sponsored Links
but ive had completley a different story from the actual planning offices and the highways dept. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back