planning permission

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi anyone know anything about planning law? I have planning permission to build 1st storey extension, but am only allowed to come out 5m. Existing single storey extension is 5.8m.

Seems petty to me but council won't let me take it out full distance on top. someone told me if I build it and noone objects for four years council cant make me take it down.

Is this correct, especially as I have planning permission?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
There is a case recently of a guy who built a bungalow inside a big barn he had in a field.

No one could see this house and so no one complained. At the end of the 4 years he then took down the barn and claimed that the council could do nothing because there had been no complaint.

Technically he was correct but the Local authority took it to court and won.

The guy then appealed and I think he lost again.

So be wary - they have strong powers and the technicalities of the law can be overridden.

This guy had been living in a house in a barn for ages. He was mightily p1ssed off.

davey0001 said:
There is a case recently of a guy who built a bungalow inside a big barn he had in a field.

No one could see this house and so no one complained. At the end of the 4 years he then took down the barn and claimed that the council could do nothing because there had been no complaint.

Technically he was correct but the Local authority took it to court and won.

The guy then appealed and I think he lost again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back