No planning permission for fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was informed by the contractor that the fence I was having erected would not require planning permission. However, I have subsequently found out that I should have sought planning permission as the fence is adjacent to a highway. I have a feeling that one of our neighbours is going to complain to the council. How long does it normally take to hear from the council following a complaint?

Sponsored Links
If it is higher than 1m then you will need planning permision if it's adjacent to a highway but if it's a hedges or trees, you can have whatever height, it doesn't require planning permission including next to a highway :!:

How high is it?

Pop down to your local BCO with the road layout etc, ask them can I do this and see what they say. Be honest with them and they're normally very helpful to find a solution.

It is a 2 metre fence that is situated to the property side of a 1m high wall. I am 100% sure i do need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
as masona says give them a ring. It depends if they will still class it as being on the boundary, as its the other side of the wall. I have a feeling they probably will. Ill be intrested to hear what they say.

I just did one in a similar situation for someone on the property side of the hedge. it was 1.2 metres high and i pointed out to them when i did the quote that they would need permission. They still wanted it done so i made damn sure i covered myself in the quote stating that it was their decision and their risk and that i had pointed out the planning points to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back