Planning permission - building to boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post after much Googling..

I'd like to replace an old flat roofed side extension with a single story sloping roofed kitchen extension.

My initial plans appear to be exempt from planning permission for the following reasons:
  • Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
  • Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
But the current building is nearly 1m from the boundary, I would like to build up to the boundary.

Does this mean I will need formal planning permission?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I though max eve was 3m so you likely need it anyway regardless of boundary

I though max eve was 3m so you likely need it anyway regardless of boundary

My initial plans appear to be exempt from planning permission for the following reasons:
  • Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
The bit I can't see on any of the planning sites is the required distance to the boundary. If no such requirement exists then I'm all good.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/planning-permission-building-to-boundary.475106/#ixzz4VrdwlNWn

Sponsored Links
This is the only clue I can find, note the 1m arrow tot he side of the extension:
ill1yhp.gif

that applies when extending to the side

These are the requirements

• No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
  • No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
  • Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.
    In addition, outside Article 1(5) designated land* and Sites of Special Scientific Interest the limit is increased to 6m if an attached house and 8m if a detached house until 30 May 2019.
    These increased limits (between 3m and 6m and between 4m and 8m respectively) are subject to the neighbour consultation scheme.
  • Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres or be within seven metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house.
  • Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
  • Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
  • Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
  • On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey; no cladding of the exterior; no side extensions.
I think you may fall foul of the bold line but if you slope the eve from the boundary to the max eve height then maybe if won't apply.

You don't need p.p. for a side extension, even up to the boundary. as long as the eaves are < 3m high, and the overall height < 4m.
That diagram from the Planning Portal is misleading, as it seems to imply you can't go within 1m of the boundary, which is not so.

You don't need p.p. for a side extension, even up to the boundary. as long as the eaves are < 3m high, and the overall height < 4m.
That diagram from the Planning Portal is misleading, as it seems to imply you can't go within 1m of the boundary, which is not so.

**** yeah I am confusing eve and apex you won't even fall foul of the bold line.

This is the only clue I can find, note the 1m arrow tot he side of the extension:
ill1yhp.gif

Just where is this diagram from? If it's supposed to show limits for permitted development, it's wrong. (Unless it's not England??)/

That is excellent news, thank you.

Is there any literature that explains this and to which I can refer?

Quick edit - the reason I ask is that an architect told my wife about the 1m rule, I could only find that one image which seemed to refer to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back