Extending house: do I count old existing extension or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

We are planning to extend our terraced house and need to determine maximum size allowed for it.

The current extension was built after July 1 1948 and before October 1 1973.

Now, I have read in many places that the existing extension is counted as part of the original house if built after July 1 1948.

However, at

http://www.planningni.gov.uk/Devel_Control/Planning_System/Permission/extensions.htm

the date appears to be July 1 1973.

We are aware of the 50 cubic meters, but do we have to count the existing extension or not?

Thanx in advance!

Sponsored Links
The correct interpretation for permitted development in England and Wales is that you take the property as built, or as it was in 1948, and anything added subsequently will reduce your PD allowance.

That date in 1973 may be specific to NI, and so it may replace the 1948 date for England and Wales.

In which case your extension will not reduce your PD allowance, and you have 50 m3 to play with if the property is in Northern Ireland

Thanx ^woody^, I think I was fooled by the website and didn't relize it was for Northern Ireland... doh!

The house is in England. Too bad... :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back