House takes hours to warm up

Sponsored Links
In this weather you might want to put your boiler temp on max :!:

My thermometer turned up so I started to get the ball rolling.

I used some black electrical tape on the copper tails and turned off all of the radiators and turned one on confirming which was the flow and return, then turned it off and moved onto the next.

While doing this I found I have two leaking Pegler Terrier lockshields, however I have a couple of spares from the living room when I fitted TRVs. (I thought Pegler was a good brand?)

I found 3 of the TRVs fitted in my system are on the return, I understand this isn't important so I am going to leave 2 of them and change 1 because the access would be better and I have a leaking lockshield on the other side.

Pump speed is already set to 2, turned all wheelhead valves and TRVs on full and set all the lockshields to half a turn from closed.

Few questions... Can I do the same thing for my cylinder on the return? It has a gate valve fitted.

I understand I need to aim for 11c difference between the flow and return, does this apply at the flow and return at the pipes going back into the boiler?

I remembering reading something about 20c difference? Does this depend on the boiler? Mines an Ideal Classic FF340.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
An IR thermostat is not really the correct instrument for a heating engineer but it would work for home balancing.

You should aim for 11 C at each rad with the TRV open and this will give you the same 11 C at the boiler.

It is not critical !

But balancing will not overcome undersized rads!

Tony

Get yourself a flir thermal imager and when you've finished with it can I borrow it?

An IR thermostat is not really the correct instrument for a heating engineer but it would work for home balancing.

You should aim for 11 C at each rad with the TRV open and this will give you the same 11 C at the boiler.

It is not critical !

But balancing will not overcome undersized rads!

Tony

I understand it's not going to be perfect but some balancing is far better nothing. (All of the lockshields was fully open before!)

I am still not 100% sure if the radiators are undersized, using this based on the size of my rooms matches what I have got pretty much.

One thing I am sure about is the boiler, it's over sized! It cycles on and off every 5 or so minutes.

Get yourself a flir thermal imager and when you've finished with it can I borrow it?

Wow! Wish I had the money to buy one of them.

Some people feel the cold more than others, what is the air temp in each room when the heating is working at maximum when the outside temp is -1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back