house wall and level

M

marsaday

My house is 100yrs old and i have just put a new window in the attic gable wall. i have noticed the wall is not level at all. it has been built so it slops inwards. is this normal?

if i set my new window level inside its opening then the top section will look like it is pulling forward. So i will be setting the window in so it follows the slope of the wall.

Sponsored Links
Upright :idea: Plumb . ( not level ;) that`s horizontal) It was plumb when it was built - but things move over 100 years . Follow the slope and set it so it looks the best in and outside before final fixing it ;)

You sure you haven't got your spirit level the wrong way up? :p

It might have been built like that or it might have moved over the years. 100 years is a long time and the footings on 100 year old houses are often not very substantial.

How far out os the wall over the height of the window? I'd put the window in straight I think but don't expect putting it in at the same angle as the wall will cause any problems :?:

Hi

With old construction techniques they used to diminish the thickness of the wall as it went upwards and what you are encountering is possibly a section of wall where they have reduced the wall thickness from either a 2 or 11/2 brick thickness to a 1 brick thickness.

The simplest solution to your problem would be to ensure the head of the window is inside the line of the brickwork and simply make up the reveal and cill detail to suit the topology of the building.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Well i can see the internal brick work as well and it is the same thickness. The area i have put a new window in used to be a chimney, which was removed yrs ago. The internal wall was missing so i have cut a new window and now reinstated the internal wall.

Also the wall is still a bricks length thick.

i am putting the window inline with the wall, so it will be leaning backwards slightly. There wont be any problems with this.

just funny why they have gone so far out of line. The 1st floor didnt have this problem, just the gable bit which starts from the ceiling of the first floor.

maybe they changed over brickies at this stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back