How best to fill these ceiling/freeze cracks (pics inc.)

I agree with you and Richard if it was my wall I'd re-plaster them myself too ..
I just assumed from gille's post here in the painting & decorating section a cheap/quick 'decorators fix ' was sought...

No probs LJ mucca,,,, I know you're quite rightly looking at it from a decorators point of view. ;)

Sponsored Links
..Isnt that what he was asking for otherwise it'd be in the plastering section?
I took Gille’s posts to indicate the oposite & that he’s looking for a permanent solution not just a quick fix; but only he knows ;)

Where OP’s post sometimes depends how much knowledge & experience that person has; my future son-in-law has a job telling one end of a paintbrush from the other despite my best attempts but I sometimes think there is an agenda to his apparent total incompetence to do anything practical; like I always end up doing it! :confused:

Thanks Richard, advice is appreciated and apologies if I ask any daft questions.
No apology necessary. ;)

If I decide not to take everything back to brick/block and just go for a repair what is the best approach for patching up? I have checked the rest of the wall and all seems solid, I could open the cracks a bit wider as you descibed to take them back to a solid section but what materials are best to patch up?
The method of repair would be as I described in my 1st post & after fitting the metal reinforcing lath I bring out to the level of the surrounding plaster. I use a sand/cement/lime render for the initial repairs & then fill out to the surrounding wall with Bonding plaster but you could use Bonding plaster in 2 coats for the lot which would be easier for you to use; I then tape the joins & re-skim the whole wall.

This picture shows a full height crack immediately to the left of the steps where I've hacked back the plaster to confirm if the blockwork is cracked; you can also just about see some metal lath fixed over a lintel repair & crack on the far left hand side.
View media item 19585
This picture shows 2 repaired cracks (not the same crack) after render repairs prior to filling out with Bonding, taping & skimming.
View media item 19586
In all honesty if you’ve not done anything similar before, it may be a lot for you to take on & there is no guarantee some plasterers will know how to approach it either; you need someone who is specifically experienced in renovation repairs, not just a skimmer. It would be possible to do the repairs yourself & get someone in to re-skim the wall as this is where your most likely to mess it up but it’s important to get the reinforcing right or it won’t work & the spread must know how to approach skimming a mixture of backgrounds.

An easier option for you may be to strip the entire wall back to ensure a solid base, dot & dab some plasterboard on there & call in a spread to skim it.

thanks for all the replies, i was looking for a permanent solution but did not think it would involve so much work, i need to decide which way to take things forward - a quick fix and hope to limit the cracks appearing again or a more radical fix

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back