How big before a gutter is required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are adding a square bay window (with a flatish roof). It is approx 2.4m x 0.65m (incl overhang). It was previously part of the patio.

Does this need a gutter?

Is this determined by building regs? Or best practice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Seen lots with and lots without I guess it depends what
is practical and what you are prepared to put up with
when its raining.

Do you have wooden window frames beneath, or upvc? How much soffit overhang does the roof have and how big are the cills? What I'm getting at is... You dont want a situation where you have wooden windows continually getting their feet wet from cill splashback from the roof.

On the other hand, it could be a sheltered south facing location, big roof overhang plastic window etc.

The bay windows has not been fully built - it will be new timber windows. I have attached the proposed elevations (front & side). There should be some overhang and the bay will face West.

Does that help?

Attachments

• BayWindow.JPG
    BayWindow.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Elevation.JPG
    Elevation.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
gutters save a lot of grief down the line but you dont have any obvious place for a downpipe on the bay itself.
Is there a nearby gulley or a passin downpipe?

if the bays not yet built why not build it out further an make room for a downpipe an a more respectable footprint for the money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back