How big / expensive a job

E

edthegr8

Hi,

Our kitchen and dining room are open plan, however, there is no extractor fan to outside in the kitchen - only an extractor hood with a charcoal filter which doesn't quite do enough when cooking a big meal. We end up with steamy windows. We also don't like using the George Forman because the grease gets everywhere.

How big a job is it to get an electrician in to install an extractor fan and connect it? (electric box is in the kitchen). Is it likely to be expensive?

We have a similar issue in the upstairs shower room which depending on cost, we'd look at getting an extractor fan installed.

Cheers
Ed

Sponsored Links
a lot of hoods can be adapted to be used as an extractor by the addition of suitable ducting. There is often a lever inside to divert the airflow to "outside". It might be worth checking

The job splits into three parts, wiring, the fan and the hole. A 6" hole through plaster and double brick skin is a couple of hours work, the fan and wiring materials about £100 and the cabling is an unknown since only sight would give an accurate assessment of cost.

The existing extractor if positioned on an external wall could be adapted to extract externally, most need a 4" hole and ducting between the extractor and the external vent cover.

Sponsored Links
A 6" hole through plaster and double brick skin is a couple of hours work

Uhm, it is? Using what, a hammer and chisel?

I don't have a 6" wet core cutter, so use the sds and chisel. Lets not forget its a gentle go job unless you wan to blow plaster and end up with the need for a bag of finish after.

It's in a finish room, so some more care is required over the work than say a bare wall 1st fix site.

No doubt you have done hundreds and including dust sheets, ladder work on both side, absolutely no need to retouch pointing or plaster work, no need to tidy. Let me guess? 15 minutes.

Please don't be such an antsy g1t, it was an out of the air estimation.

A 6" hole through plaster and double brick skin is a couple of hours work

Uhm, it is? Using what, a hammer and chisel?

I don't have a 6" wet core cutter

You don't need wet.

Lets not forget its a gentle go job unless you wan to blow plaster and end up with the need for a bag of finish after.

A core doesn't blow good plaster if you take it easy on the way in.

No doubt you have done hundreds and including dust sheets, ladder work on both side, absolutely no need to retouch pointing or plaster work, no need to tidy. Let me guess? 15 minutes.

Actually, no, I haven't done hundreds, and a faulty drill made the last one take a lot longer than it should have.

Please don't be such an antsy g1t, it was an out of the air estimation.

Unnecessarily defensive much?

It appears some people on here have never tried coring through red brick, or engineering brick.

I'd allow 2 hours minimum just for drilling the hole.
In reality what you are asking for is probably nigh on a days work.

Ballpark probably £500, inc materials.

OK as usual a non-electrical comment.
Where will the exhaust go from the extractors - particularly the kitchen?
Pushing it out of the kitchen to go into the bedroom will not be popular. Assuming that the existing cooker hood position cannot be altered then some ducting may be needed (so cost + how to clean). The use of the George Foreman (I guess) is on a worktop and so pulling all the air to one side in order for it to go through the hood is only a partial answer; you need an over the machine duct, or within a short time you'll find lovely oil dust in the areas where turbulence means the flow slows at surfaces.
Not what was asked, but it would be possible to spend an appreciable amount of money and find that it was non-productive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back