How clear should central heating water be?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put some of the Sentinel X400 in 3 weeks ago & only just got round to running it out of the system.

The water wasn't BLACK but it was dark.

Filled the system back up, turned the heating on for a bit to get it flowing & then off, cool a bit, drain - still dark ish.

Repeat but this time i didn't turn the heating on - just cold water, drain - this time it was much lighter.

Did it again, lighter still. I got some in a cup & it was like light pee colour. Yellowish.

Do i keep repeating until it runs clear like it's come straight out of a tap or what?

Sponsored Links
What boiler and what is your system? Open or combi, or sealed?

I am not a big fun of powerflush, but sometimes you have to do it.

The water inside your heating system isn't for drink or medical injection, so don't need to be crystal clean.

Someone from a boiler manufacturer said dirty system waters caused more than half of their warranty calls.

As already said theres a degree of leeway depending on boiler/system type and age. the clearer the better obviously, but Id never take a sample from a system thats not been running for a bit, as your just draining the clean water you have filled it with.

Run heating, bleed radiators make sure its full and had 15/20min worth of circulating and drain it once more into a bottle or cup, if its pale pee colour then thats probably going to be ok.

PS when you drain it down, are you opening all the bleed points on the radiators to let air into them and the water out?

Yeah i was opening the bleed points on all of the rads.

I just did some googling some weeks ago, saw a few videos & the comments were that the water should 'run clear' so i assumed clear like tap water.

Just thought i'd come here to find out exactly how clear it needed to be.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Oh & sorry i forgot to answer - it's a combi & a Worcester. As for model i THINK it is Greenstar Si if memory serves. I'd have to find the manual to know for 100%.

for a modern combi you really do want the water as clean as a whistle, for the sake of a few hours extra work get it spotless and make sure to get a bottle of inhibitor in there on the last fill up

2 years since I flushed the open vented system and loaded it with fernox.

This is what is from the radiators now.

Attachments

• 20201029_195608.jpg
    20201029_195608.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 586

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back