How do i change the colour of my wooden dado rails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

i have wooden dado rails going around my room

they are mahogany in colour but i want to change their colour to match my fireplace

my wooden fireplace is like a light brown oak or pine type colour with a shine on it.

so i wanted to know can i buy some sort of paint to paint the dado rails to match the fireplace.

ive tried to remove the mahogany varnish using a varnish stripped so i can paint it but that proved to be very exhausting and done little to clear it so i bought new dado rails but they are untreated natural from b and q brand new packed in 4.

so i wanted to know if i can either paint the old rails to match the colour of the fireplace or how to get the new colourless natural dado rails to match the fireplace look

thankyou.

please help.

i have included picture of dado rail and fireplace.

Sponsored Links
You cant stain dark wood lighter. It would be almost impossible to rub it down properly to get rid of the dark stain. Graining is an option but a said is skilled and takes time to get the right result. Paint and grain is a typical DIY attempt at graining using water based paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back