How do I deal with this pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am doing up the bathroom and have come across a pipe I don't know how to deal with, I am ok with soldering/compression joints on copper but the pipe that used to feed the hot on the bath has about 6inches of copper 22mm but before this it has something that looks like galvanized or similar and the actual pipe is threaded and that goes under the bedroom and all over so it would be difficult to replace the whole lot at this time, but I do want to alter the bit in the bathroom.

What is this pipe likely to be made of?

Is there a way I can work with this, eg. joints you can buy if I cut it, so that I could do a DIY job, ie I am not a plumber although fairly good with plumbing copper, so that I could manage without having to thread pipe which I do not have the gear to do or have any experience of doing?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So what's the problem exactly? The copper is joined to the Steel pipe with an adaptor of some sort which screws on with ptfe tape . (They used to use hemp and bosswhite oily muck, which it's best to heat to undo).

There are special compression fittings which go onto steel pipe, but I've never needed to use them.

The vertical part may well go into an elbow lower down, where you have another screwed joint you can access.

Cheers ChrisR, this odd pipe protrudes out of the floor but yes accessing the elbow maybe a possibility for me to get it all below floor level, although I had been thinking of cutting it further back as it is a bit congested where it is and I can see a better route for it.

Sponsored Links
if galvanised steel or some sort, you could try getting hold of a viking johnsson coupler that will convert to copper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back