How do I finish my vic fireplace restoration, see pics!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

so thought I would just strip a fireplace back to something that is not a hideous silver colour in my house. See picture below of the way it used to look...

So I thought strip it back and underneath it would be a nice black. Clearly I was wrong as I encoutered a cream colour. Okay, that would do nicely I thought.

But the more I tried to get the remaining little bits off, the cream started to come away, on the surround it has started to show a light brown probably where I have used too much paint stripper where as on the stove surround itself it is a rusty brown where the cream has flaked. See below...

So I clearly need to get as much of the silver paint off but it looks as though I am going to have to repaint when I hoped to just buff the underneath to a nice finish.

What advice do you have? Should I spray the stove/grate part black and then repaint the surround a cream colour? Do I need to get every scrap of silver off the surround before doing so? Its amazing how some of the detail has come back to live by removing the old silver. You can see the flowers and decoration.

I want a reasonably easy solution here to restoring this fireplace back to some former glory. What kind of paint would I need for both the stove/grate and for the surround?

I have then got another two to do in the house :(

Your help and guidance is much appreciated in me completing this job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back