Fireplace Restoration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slate fireplace in need of cleaning / restoration. It looks like its ben varnished at some time as one side has been stripped back to the bare slate. There are floral designs on the slate and I do not want to damage them. Is this a DIY task? If not where do I look for a person to carry out the work ? Yellow pages drew a blank...

Sponsored Links
The floral pattern that is on the grate will probably be scumble glaze and then varnished over the top. Apart from giving it a good clean with a mild detergent and another coat of varnish there is little that can be done to it apart from redoing it. The marble would have been painted over with a base coat of oil based undercoat or eggshell, then the scumble glaze applied and figured into the floral pattern. This would dry and then be varnished over the top. Similar to graining a door or other woodwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back