Restoring fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding restoring a fireplace in my new house?
Background info: We have bought a typical two-up two-down 1890s terrace house which has a working fireplace in the living room and a blocked up fireplace in the dining room.

In the dining room, the previous owner has put a wood material (mdf) in the front part and cut out a hole for a basic electric fire to fit in. We want to pull out the mdf and restore the fireplace so it gives the impression of being a working fireplace. The material inside appears to be slate.

I'm a little nervous that tampering with it may cause my first home to crumble around my ears! Is this a job best left for professionals? If so, will I have to remortgage my home to pay for it?!
ngG2V

Sponsored Links
Some others will be along to offer advice soon.

In the mean time, I'm in the process of doing mine so have some limited info. Firstly, what do you actually want to do? Just open up the original fireplace to look nice? Have an open fire? Have a log burner?

You need to give some info so others can provide some tailored advice.

But for general advice, you're going to have to peel and reveal..... Pull off the MDF. That is holding nothing up. See what's behind that. You may be lucky enough to find something you like.... but then you'd have to question why they covered it up!

You'll probably see a brick built fireplace inside a bigger hole called the builders opening. Post some pics as you might just be able to purchase a reclaimed fire surround and place it where the MDF was if you just want it for looks and not working.

You posted the pic as I was typing! Whats your aim as I mentioned above? Looks like plasterboard....

Sponsored Links
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
For clarification, we just want it to look as if it an authentic fireplace e.g put in some logs :) in a grate that will never be lit!

As above, pilsbury is spot on with his advice & his questions.
OP,
You want to go to the outside corners and then come in and draw lines 50mm to 75mm from the edge.
Draw a horizontal line half way up the c/breast.
Then cut down and across the lines, and remove the plasterboard.
You will see the obvious brick infill inside the original builder's opening - ie. a large fireplace. Then post a pic of the whole front face of the c/b.
It will be perfectly safe to remove the infill up to any arch or lintel.
Do you want to remove the boxed in "fender" in front of the c/b?

The flue will need sweeping and the soot in the opening wire brushed off.
Isolate the elec flex before doing anything.

I'd be going to a reclaim yard and seeing what they've got. I bet you could find a nice Victorian set, mantle piece, surround, hearth, grate etc and just bang it in if it's just for show. For God's sake don't light it...... Take heed of Vinn's advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back