Inglenook fireplace - soft Norfolk red brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to this site but have recently purchased an old cottage (1800-ish) with a large Inglenook fireplace and thought someone might be able to offer me a bit of advice.

The brickwork has seen better days and, although the large beam and some of the bricks seem fine, other bricks are quite crumbly and a few have cracks in them. The fireplace such a feature of the house so we would love to get it restored to it's former glory but understand this could be quite structural (and expensive!) work.

Has anyone had any experience of this type of project and if so do you have an idea of what costs we might be looking at if we got someone in to do the work? The fireplace is about 2m wide, 1m deep and the height of the room, there is a relatively new woodburner set within it.

Many thanks,
Alice

Sponsored Links
I built my own house 17 yrs ago with a similar deign fireplace in Norfolk. You need a good tradesman. My Bricklayer was superb, an artist in fact, came from just sth of Norwich if thats near you. I dont know if I am allowed to put his name on this site???
I could try to get him to contact you if I had details, I live in Florida for the winter but could probably get a message to him

john townsend

Hi John, thanks for your reply, does your builder do restoration work as well as building them from scratch? If so maybe you could contact him and ask if he'd mind you putting his details on this thread?
Many thanks,
Alice

Sponsored Links
Hi Alice
the best thing is for you to ask him, I am sure he would be able to do it. I am in Florida until April but have contacted my son for tel no and I will ring him as soon as I know it
John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back