Opening a Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

first post on here, so think in the right place, I have been involved in a number of restoration projects over the years, and most projects go ok and to a standard I (and the wife of course) is happy with.

We are renovating a welsh cottage at the moment, which we hope to move into in the next 3-4 weeks, but the fireplace has me flummoxed, during the 1960's someone seems to have removed a backboiler (there are some pipes int he wall) and added a concrete fireplace, normally, there is a concrete lintel or an original curved brick lintel but on this occasion I can only find a small piece of metal, now this could be ok but welcome advice. I want to open up the fireplace, for potentially a log burner, but initially a fire and grate, so I can at least do the plastering of the walls.

My question is would it be ok to remove some bricks above the metal lintel and add a new concrete one across the gap, maybe use props , the breast is about 2-3 foot wide in total, and been thre fr 200 years so do not think would just cave in. and I will attach a pic when Ihave figured that out!

All comments appreciated, the fireplace has not been used sincemid 2011, and needs a good sweep![/img]

Sponsored Links
What age is the cottage?

There might be a lot of stone rather than brick in there so to put a lintol in you might end up with a very big hole

a log burner needs to comply with building regs have a class 1 liner installed to the top and passed at your expense by building regs or be done by a hetas engineer who will self certify so may be the cheaper option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back