Opening up fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I've been a long time lurker but never really had to do my own DIY (since being a kid and helping my dad out) due to always renting, but now that I've bought I've got loads of projects on the horizon.

First one being opening up my fireplace, I eventually want to get a wood burning stove but intend on using it just for decoration now and upgrading as funds allow.

Just got a few questions for people that know more than me

As you can see in the picture I've opened up the fireplace slightly, and took the board and rendering off to show the big concrete lintel up top, and theres also a piece of metal angle iron as a smaller lintel underneath just above the opening.

If I just open the fireplace out wider am I right in thinking the metal lintel gonna have to go and be replaced with another concrete one? Or am I best leaving it in situ.

The house is an old stone terrace, the edges of the chimney breast seem to be stone and the front brick.

Thanks for any help
Ste

20200104_190455.jpg
20200105_135928.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back