Opening up a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’ve started renovations of the living room, and want to open up the fireplace to renovate and add in a bioethanol burner. I’ve started the work and it is a small fireplace and no obvious lintel (though I’ve heard they can be quite high up.

Key question - can I remove the blocks used to brick up the fireplace?
2CC167EE-4172-454C-AA7F-A9FCB0E6F33A.jpeg
ADDAA39B-98D7-413C-A975-7129008EC1FB.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I think you've just uncovered the soldier course in your first pic (the red bricks standing on end), which is acting as a lintel.

Like so

upload_2021-9-19_19-9-39.png

When we opened 2 fireplaces in my 1920s house, the opening had a soldier course no lintels.

How old is your house? It looks like the original opening has been reduced with breeze blocks. The clay fireback looks the right size for the reduced size.

Then closed up with bricks.

I had similar, a massive fireplace in the front room had been reduced in size, once.

In terms of removing the infill. Probably safe. It looks like it was there before it was filled. However, I am only a diy'er and it's tricky to judge from 2 picss

Sponsored Links
Pull out those blocks, nothing will fall down. See if there's anything holding up the soldier course, probably a bit of angle iron at the back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back