Crumbling bricks on internal fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post, so I hope it's in the right sub forum!

We bought an old (c. 300 yrs) house just over 4 years ago. There's a fireplace that had formerly been an inglenook but at some point had been lined with bricks (red house bricks maybe). Although the fire has certainly been used, we have never lit it and the people we bought from only lit it occasionally.

In 2008, we had the chimney taken out altogether to free up space on the 1st floor but left the fireplace as a feature downstairs.

A few of the bricks seem to be eroding however and the pace is increasing. I had thought it might be damp but it's very concentrated (only affects two courses of bricks) and the removal of the chimney should have taken away any conduit for the water from above.

Anyway, here's a photo. It's transposed by 90 degrees and the right hand side should be the top (if you get my drift).

We do struggle with condensation/damp in the property too.

Any ideas as to what might be causing it and/or how to stop it would be appreciated,

Many thanks

Tony
[/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back