Newbie - Crumbling Bricks Behind Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I had the fireplace removed in my house but the back wall bricks are in bad condition. The surface is crumbly around the area behind the opening, but seem to be ok higher up. Although the quick job would be just to cover it, i want to ensure the structure is still strong it may make sense to replace these bricks as suggested by my plasterer. I’ve lost about 2cm of brick depth in some places. Behind the fireplace is the wall adjoining the next property, although I’m not sure about thicknesses. It’s a Victorian property.

Any insight or next step advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6E5478F6-16B6-47DE-8F42-C8DCAE872CB9.jpeg
    6E5478F6-16B6-47DE-8F42-C8DCAE872CB9.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 413
  • 6D99EB78-A573-45A6-8F8D-6F8420050B94.jpeg
    6D99EB78-A573-45A6-8F8D-6F8420050B94.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 291
  • EBC74B84-2947-4851-A7EA-820D35E8FE94.jpeg
    EBC74B84-2947-4851-A7EA-820D35E8FE94.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
Spadez, good evening.

What is the final desired effect? Is it an "alcove" or a functioning fire again?

Ken.

Hi Ken. Thank you for the reply. I think a functional fireplace would be nice if it didn’t add a lot to the quote. However I suspect it would, and I would think it’s 80% likely we would go for an aesthetic fireplace only.

Spadez, good evening, again.

Several considerations?

1/. It could be that the brick faces have been removed [damaged] when the "fire-bricks" that surrounded the fire bed were removed???
2/. Do you know if your neighbour has a "live fire" or a gas fire?
3/. If you intend an "alcove" or mock fire place? the damaged brickwork could simply be cement rendered then plastered over, a relatively simple "fix"
4/. On the other hand if you opt for a fire or gas fire installation? the advice of a suitably qualified gas installer would be advisable? as for a "live fire" that is more onerous. a wood burner will also require the advises from a qualified engineer, especially around the clearances and fire proofing aspect of all above.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
i want to ensure the structure is still strong
if your only concern is strength, then don't worry about it, it will be more than strong enough as it is. As for aesthetics yes you'd need to render or rebuiild to make it look spot on. I wonder if you just want a alcove that looks good whether just brick cladding would do it, you can get basically brick slices to stick on and then you point them up normally.

If you are concerned about structural stability? then it is possible to fix Stainless Steel mesh into the cement render, the mesh can [and is best fixed] using stainless steel screws and washers?

As for finish? the sky is the limit, in that it could be as John above, [so called "brick slips" ] of whatever colour and texture you fancy. or for an "older look" it can be tiles, even floor tiles or, either original antique or modern tiles??

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back