Crumbling bricks due to damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have recently moved into a Victorian Terraced housed with a layout of kitchen - then living room, which has a an understairs cupboard. The walls of this cupboard are exposed brick work painted with white paint.

A few of the bricks on the back wall are really crumbling - the paint has come away, along with about a 1/3 of the brick. If you touch it, it crumbles. Strangely bricks that are just next to the dodgy bricks are absolutely fine - amateur photo attached!

Any help gratefully received, as I'm not sure if this serious e.g. leak or rising damp, or just age. Before I start pulling up floor boards etc. I'd love to get some advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Spalling and perishing of soft bricks is common amongst older properties.

Once the protective face of the brick has worn away, or if the mortar has broken down, then water can penetrate the brick which is fatal in sub zero weather.

Also, any sulphates present within the masonry will have a detrimental effect, should the masonry become wet or excessively damp.

Spalling and perishing of soft bricks is common amongst older properties.

Not inside the cupboard though!

The OP needs to check externally for defective pointing or bricks

BTW, Nose, that was post 10001, congrats

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I can't check the external wall as it's the joining wall with my neighbour who is very elderly.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Knock the loose stuff off and gob the bricks up with a sharp sand mortar with PVA added. That will do for another 100 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back