Crumbling exposed brick chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, first post and I need your help please.

My partner has a Victorian terrace BTL property in Northwich that is in urgent need of attention.

Problem no.1 is a crumbling exposed brick chimney breast. In the past, it had been leaking and required repointing which has been done. It also looks as though PVA has been applied as the letting agent has described it as having "sticky-back plastic" on it.

I'm planning on applying Watco Wallseal to stop any further crumbling but can I do this over the top of the PVA? Or do I need to remove it first and if so how?

Photos attached. Thanks in advance.

I may need to come back for more advice on other issues later!

Sponsored Links
Judging by the pics in your album this is more a matter of a chimney breast on two floors that has, or had, water penetration into the flue(s) - and down the plastered cheek in a bed room?

You should go in the loft and inspect the chimney breast and the wall that its on for signs of water penetration.

What has been pointed? Presumably the chimney stack or a gable wall? I would suspect the flashing and flaunching on the stack.Perhaps you can post pics of the chimney stack and/or gable wall?

The crumbling brickwork seems to be a short nib, perhaps the remains of a wall but in a strange position. Is this an old cottage or terraced house? Why not remove this nib back to the chimney breast?

The flues in the lower and upper rooms (is there a cellar?) should be vented after sweeping - you might have to open up the fire openings to sweep the flues. But you possibly have moisture mixing with soot and its coming thro to penetrate the decorated plaster.

Note: why not delete your double post in the decorating forum?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back