Breaking out/restoring an old Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New to the forum and this is my first post, so be gentle please!

I've attached pictures, as it makes it explains things more effectively than my words and it always appeals to our sense of curiosity!

So...we are currently in the middle of renovating the ground floor of our 1910 terraced house.
We've had a gas fire removed from the fireplace and the gas supply capped off. We've since knocked off all the plaster on the chimney breast to expose the brickwork underneath, which is where we found the original arch.

We would ideally like to restore the fireplace to it's original look, although we will not be using it as a proper fireplace, so NO open fires/woodburners or any of the other malarkey that goes along with getting that installed. We will however, ensure that there is a vent to allow airflow through the chimney stack (we've heard this is necessary or at the very least, a good idea).

So in the first instance, we are thinking that we'll to knock out the brickwork under neath the arch, leaving two "pillars" of brick either side.

Looking at the pictures, can anyone foresee any issues or give us some pointers so that we don't go about it the wrong way! I'm wondering whether the "pillars" of brick either side of the red line in the photo will be enough?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back