Remove fireplace, and the wall behind it (load bearing??)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room in which i would like to remove a fire place, and the wall it is attached to.

The fireplace has already been removed from the roof, the loft, and the first floor - leaving only the downstairs portion remaining.

I have attached the floorplan of the house to provide an idea of the layout.

layout-png.180576

Basically my reason for coming on here is to get an idea of how to go about removing the fireplace, the wall, and supporting the wall above it (if necessary)

I have watched youtube videos and understand how to knock out brick, place batons through it and hold up with supports, and then knock out the wall. But am unsure on whether i should knock out the fireplace first, as there is nothing above it, and then put the batons through some holes - and then remove the bricks underneath.

Also, the living room, and the dining area appear to have once been separate rooms, and the partition between the two rooms is clearly visible.
Is it ok to have two RSJ's running in adjacent directions supported by one wall??

Also, if there is an RSJ above the partition between the lounge and dining area currently, would that suggest that the wall with the fireplace is not load bearing??

Attachments

• LAYOUT.png
    LAYOUT.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,979
Sponsored Links
Forgive these pictures (when i first bought house hahah)

Here are a couple of real life pics to understand the divide between the lounge / dining area, and also the kitchen, its odd reccess where the fridge sits in left corner, and the wall behind the units.

shocking-rooms-png.180578

Attachments

• shocking rooms.png
    shocking rooms.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,109
I think I may have made a bit of a faux pas so to speak.
In the admittedly brief time i have been waiting for a response I have noticed that there are literally dozens of historical threads asking about load bearing walls and chimney breasts, all posted by newbie's like me, all asking the same questions to get the same answers.

I would just like to say that i've actually spent some time and read through a lot of previous answers and I feel like i've gained what i needed to from that, so just in case you do come across this message and think "ffs, not again", trust me in knowing that i will actually search my next topic in previous threads rather than just uploading a thread and waiting for free building consultation.

Just like to say there is some very valuable knowledge folks on here though.

All the best :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back