Bricking up fireplaces and serving hatch on load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have decided to brick up a serving hatch (rather than my original plan to just batten and board over it) and I also have a couple of fireplaces that I want to brick up.

The serving hatch is located on a load bearing wall and one of the fireplaces is on the same wall. There is no chimney downstairs (but there is on the first floor and in the loft - as far as I can tell there is no gallows bracket but the chimney is corbelled). The fireplace is therefore just a hole straight through from the kitchen to the dining room, with a metal gas flue box still in place.

As far as I can see, I can just use engineering bricks, mortar and screw ties. I'll need an air brick for the second fireplace (in the front room) but as there is no chimney in the kitchen/dining room I won't need one.

Because the hatch and fireplace are in a load bearing wall, would it be a good idea to use props, when removing the hatch and the flue box (just in case those two things are adding any support)?

Is there anything else that I need to take into account?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

fUr3esol.jpg

14a5Jrll.jpg

Y2AB4e2l.jpg

jzIeh7bl.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back