Bricking up a fireplace and serving hatch - do I need ties?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to be bricking up a serving hatch and a hole that held a gas fire, both approx 900mm x 600mm on the same single brick, loading bearing, internal wall.

Do I need to tie into the existing brickwork with ties or a wall starters? If so, which is best and should I put them every other course?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of using these ties along with these plugs. Will they be OK, on every other course?

BWS46mRh.jpg

Thanks. The mortar beds are quite thick (at least 16mm) and appear inconsistent (measure one that was at least 20mm).

It appears that the hatch is original (so the two sides were never tied together), and, with a level across, the brick courses do not match up exactly. In some places they are bang on, but in others out by half a mortar bed

Should I,

1) Start on the left, and stay dead level, rather than attempt to match the brick on the right
2) Try to match the brick on the left and right, even if I need to slope the mortar bed
3) Ignore both sides and lay 10mm beds
4) Something else

I'm guessing that 1) is the correct approach but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

ZXGAys0l.jpg

3MyzOrNl.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Turns out that even the bricks aren't a uniform size. Some are 65mm, most are 70mm and couple appear to be 73mm (wall built circa 1955).

I wonder if I should go with 3) instead

3) Ignore both sides and lay 10mm beds

Hole is 955mm.

12 courses of class B engineering brick (65 x 12 = 780mm) + 13 beds of mortar (at about 13.5mm per bed = 175mm) and tie in (to existing brick or mortar) every couple of courses?

jgH8hyrl.jpg

nZh8eybl.jpg

I wouldn't get overly hung up about it. As long as your mortar beds are decently sized, you've used wall ties and you've not used loads of mortar to fill gaps, it'll be strong enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back