damp around fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i live in terraced house with fireplaces in front room and back room downstairs.The front room has a working electric fire and has no damp around the fireplace,i havent used the fire once in last year.

The backroom fireplace has been boarded over and has no ventilation ,this fireplace has damp all around the floor level to 3 ft high and also the walls either side are starting to become damp :cry:

My question is should i fix a vent to the side of the fireplace and would this solve the damp problem.

thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes-a boarded up fireplace should should be fitted with a vent.It allows an air flow within the chimney [and also provides ventilation for the room that the fireplace is in.Is the problem worse after a bit of rain?Is it an open chimney pot?.Is it capped off? Does it have some sort of cowl?.

i cant get on roof to check chimney ,but i dont think it gets worse after raining.upstairs is fine no probs there.
I would prob try fitting a vent then to the side of the fireplace and see how it goes from there :D
do i drill some holes through the side of the chimney breast and screw the vent over or do i have to take a brick out :D
thanx woodgnome

why do you want to struggle through the side of the breast :confused: If it`s boarded @ the front - rip the whole board off and get some airflow up there - then in the winter re fit a board with a vent on it :idea: ;)

Sponsored Links
NigeFs advice sounds good -enjoy the demolition.The revealed opening will allow air to flow up taking the moisture with it and also enable you to observe any water[if any] that is coming down the chimney on rainy days and determine whether it needs a sweep [lots of soot holds in moisture and will reduce the new air flow if blocked up.

i think the wall behind the feature fireplace is plastered,i think i may half go with your ideas atm .i will remove the fireplace and see what its like behind there, idont wanna cause too much damage as the previous owners have only recently plastrered all the backroom :D thanx:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back