How do I get my gas hob installation certified

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive recently had a gas hob installed (was electric before), this was done by a competent but not gassafe registered person. Does anyone know how I should go about getting this install certified?

Would most gassafe engineers certify the existing installation (its still easily accessable) - or would they have to re-do it themselves?

Sponsored Links
Just like electrical installations the job should have been done by a qualified fitter. Not a fly by night. You may :p be lucky, but i doubt it.

I would not risk my ticket and certify someone elses work.You couldn't pay me enough.Thats what you get for getting it done on the cheap in the first place.

I would not risk my ticket and certify someone elses work.You couldn't pay me enough.Thats what you get for getting it done on the cheap in the first place.

Q1. If you moved to another area would you be required to certify someone else's work.

Q2. If an appliance checks out ok is that not your considered opinion that its worthy of a certificate or not.

Gas checks and installation checks can only be correct at the time of the check. So, if they go wrong sometime down the line, how can they be your fault?

Sponsored Links
I don't think gas hob's now require a cert,but I'll stand corrected on that.As for signing off other peoples work then still no chance without disconnecting and starting from scratch.If you indicate on the paperwork that you have done the install then you are responsible.This hob was installed by unregistered person and the cust wants it made legit to cover the fact that it was an illegal install.

45.. for the record I have to get several boilers, fires and hobs checked out every year for clients. The appliances serviced and entered on a Landlords Certificate and the fitter checking them has not installed them. If the fitter states that they did not install them is that correct and ok?. I know you should in fact report them for an illegal installation. Have you ever done that? What happened?
Before the law came in fitters had to go around and check out loads of customers own installations some years down the line. What happened then?
Did you fix them and give them a clean bill of health?
Sorry about the questions. Just interested.

In days of yore,there wasn`t such a thing as certifying appliances and yes we either fixed them or cut them off.

When doing a landlords gas safety check,the engineer doesn`t actually have to fix any faults,he`s just there to make a report as to whether everything is ok and inform any responsible party if there are problems.
If there are problems,that`s a different job entirely.

The engineer doesn`t have to say whether they installed the appliance or not.

Gas hobs don`t need a certificate now,but I`d advise you to get it checked by a Registered engineer anyway,for safety`s sake.

this was done by a competent but not gassafe registered person

If he wasn`t Gas safe registered then he wasn`t competent,there`s no grey area here.

I wonder how folks got on before these regs came into force! What happened when the transisition from coal gas, to natural gas?

When did the man step up to the plate to say no to this, and no to that? Obviously, I would never mess with a gas install.

I wonder how folks got on before these regs came into force! What happened when the transisition from coal gas, to natural gas?

When did the man step up to the plate to say no to this, and no to that? Obviously, I would never mess with a gas install.

For the first question. Plumbers I think put in appliances with only the minimum of training. That may have only meant a mate showing them what to do. Or teaching themselves.

Before regs. anybody could put in an appliance. As I did, but have since long ago had them checked out as ok.

The coal to natural gas changeover involved the changing of the jets in appliances and a system leakage check.

When I had my system and appliances checked out a Corgi fitter came round and carried out the tests and never asked me who put it in.

I have been involved in working on the 1000's electrical installations none of which I put in. If it was wrong or broke I put it right. I never had the luxury of saying ' I didn't put it in I am not going to work on it'.
I know this is not the quite the same as a gas installation but if you worked for British Gas what would you do?

Thanks for all your responses. Lots of interesting answers and further questions :)

So it would seem the best way forward here is to ask a gassafe engineer to visit and install the hob & certify their own work?

Im expecting a certificate to cost the same as an install anyway so we not doing this on the cheap - I just need to know what to ask the gassafe engineer to do.

if i have read the replys correctly then you do not need a certificate :confused:

changing like for like.. ie not altering the pipework does not require a cert.. even changing the pipework does not...

but that is another story...

so carry on..

There are loopholes in the Gas Regulations that people can jump through with regards to 'signing off work' - I won't go into them through fear of giving people ideas. But if you enrol on a Gas NVQ at my College, I shall teach you all I know :LOL:

With regards to the certificate. If you feel the person who installed it did so correctly and do not fear for whatever reason there may well be a problem with the installation. Fear not!

The certificate itself will only be required in the event of a problem arising, attempting to sell your property with a HIP Pack or in the event of a more serious incident, such as we have seen this week in Salford, Greater Manchester.

If you trust the person who installed it has done everything they should have, and would like it to be 'checked out' then by all means contact a Registered Gas Engineer to come and do a Home Owners Safety Check. Whereby they will carry out mandatory safety checks on every appliance in the property, such as a Tightness Test of all Gas Pipework, to ensure there are no leaks, and performance checks of the appliances to ensure they are operating correctly.

Other than that.

You're chuffed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back