How do I go about this Loft RE Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Wll we were on a goverment grant to get this done but they pulled the funding and canceld on us :(

So seen as I have spent all the time lifting the boards Im going to insulate it myself.

I have one problem thought, our loft seems to have additional raised joists?
I understand how you lay insulation normally 100m between the joist and then 150mm 90 degrees over the top but these large additional joist are 280mm deep :eek: :eek: & 270mm width :( So how do I go about this ?

Do I run 100mm in between them and the 150mm over the top essentially there would be a pocket between them or do I have to build the first layer too 280mm or more then run some over the top? Leaving no pockets ?

Please see pics below:

Any advice would be much appreciated !

Cameron

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Simple answer is - put as much as you can wherever you can. Don't be afraid to go thicker than 100+150. The minimum recommended and required in new builds is now 270mm but insulation is relatively cheap so throw as much down as you can.
My loft is 100mm base layer with 2 x 170mm top-up layers running criss-cross. Just be careful to ensure you still have good airflow from the eaves over the top of the insulation otherwise you are likely to get condensation issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back