How do I heat a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a conservatory but Building Control want me to isolate it by adding a DG window and door and to remove the heater in it. The thing is I have access to a toilet from the conservatory and it will be horrible to use the toilet during the winter with it being outside the heated envelope of the house.

The same applies to the conservatory, They are useless during the winter as builiding control don't like heating in them (I already know why)

What can I do to provide at least temporary heating to the toilet and/or the conservatory?

Thanks

photos:

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the radiator until BC sign it off and then re-install it. If it's for a while chuck a cheap fan heater in there.

As above. Do what you must to get it signed off. Then do whatever you want to heat it. It's your money.

I fell tempted to do what people suggest but I am going to sell the house, provding the BC approval document. So I do not know if that would be a problem.

Sponsored Links
I added a conservatory to my home 7 years ago, and was told by my local building control that the regulations stipulate that conservatory heating must have separate controls from the main house.

Because of this, I proposed fitting the hot water supply pipe to the conservatory radiators with a motorised valve wired to it's own time controls and room thermostat, which they said would comply. In the end, unlike you, because we only use the conservatory very rarely in winter, I fitted electric heating, so it never happened.

Well that is the thing, even though the radiator is connected to the heating system of the house, it has its own control. You can shut it down completely to avoid wasting energy and enable it only when you are going to use the conservatory or for one hour of the day to have a warmish toilet when you use it.
So it is not like it is going to waste a lot of energy by operating all the time the heating in the house is working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back