How do i lay engineered wood flooring ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm now totaly confused :!:

I've been given a load of reclaimed engineered oak flooring whicj i intend to lay in my lounge over a solid concrete flor. It was removed because the new owner didn't like the colour and had only been down a few weeks!

My friend who carefully lifted it told me to lay it on to an underlay with a vapour barrier and glue the tounge and grooves together.
However my brother who's a carpenter has told be it should be glued directly to the concrete with special glue and the tounge and grooves left un glued?

I have now spoken to 2 indipendent flooring fitters and one has said it must bbe installed with an underlay with a vapour barrier and the other has told me they would glue it directly to the concrete with no underlay ?

Are both methods ok just down to the fitters preference or is one a real no no! I will try and speak to a manufacturer of engineered flooring today and see what they say, which i'm inclined to go with as they should know as they make the stuff.

Anyone have any other input?

Sponsored Links
I believe that you have the choice of either method ( as long as your concrete floor is not damp as glue won't take ).

As to which one, well that's a personal choice. As far as cost rigid glue ( i.e. not the flexible ones which are much more expensive ) will cost around the same as cheaper underlays

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back