How do I lift this floorboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never lifted a floorboard before, this is the one I want to lift:

v6166N2.jpg

Tried to use a prybar on it but stopped because it felt like the edges were just going to rip and split.

Unsure if its T&G, someone who knows what they're looking for might be able to confirm?

0R62mBM.jpg

CoqSgC8.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
2 wide bolster chisels bang down the gap one side and prise up near the end then do the same the other side till the nails pull out, work along the board the same way you would with tyre levers on a bike tyre.
Then turn the board over and bang the nails out I have filled in too many accident reports of fitters standing on the nail left sticking up through the board!:whistle:
Luckily yours do not look like tongue and grooved so easy.(y)

It looks like it has been lifted before. I am assuming it is the short piece you want to lift. If it is tongue and groove the tongue will have been plit when it was lifted previously. Looking at the first picture it does look like a tongue is still there. I would get a large sctrewdriver and using a block on the adjacent board try to pry it up. As whoever laid it previously has split the board where the nails go in it will probably split even more. You can buy a floorboard saw from Homebase or B&Q, this is the one I have from Homebase.

saw.jpg

It has teeth on the rounded edge to cut the tongue. Once you have made a start cutthen you can use the ordinary side to finish the cut. Be careful though "tradesmen" hide wires and pipes under floorboards.

On second look they might be T&G but looks like they have been up before so the tongues will have been broken.

Sponsored Links
Take a bit of card/paper and slide it down each side to get an idea of where the tongues are.
As said, they probably are split on one side, but you can plan your way around it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back