how do i put electric into my outbuilding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I wish to put power into my coal shed at the end of the garden, at the moment the power is coming from a long lenght of cable with a plug on one end pluged into a double socket in our kitchen, the cable is wired into a double socket on the wall of the shed, with another socket running of it. What do i need to do and need to complete the job. James

Sponsored Links
The cable will need to be either fixed securely, this would be by the means of a wall rather than a fence, they can be routed overhead but must be again fixed securely at a height between3.00/3.5m if no vehicle traffic in area, this height will depend on which method is used either sheathed cable in conduit or cable supported by catenary wire, This height will increase if the area can be accessed by vehicles.
or the cable should be buried in duct at a depth no less than 450mm, a route marker tape should be installed along the route at 150mm. The cable and duct used should be suitable for the environment.
Ideally SWA would be used, you would need to calculate the load required and distance of cable to find voltage drop, this will then give you the right CSA for cable needed then you can select the correct size fuse for the distribution cable.
The sockets and lights being powered will need to be RCD protected this is normally done within the shed. But can be done at distribution.
Other things to consider are earth arrangements and earth bonding if needed in shed.

Sponsored Links
There must be a limit to number of times the same question is asked on any single forum. Just scroll through answers already given.

Main point is "to complete the job" (Your question) you will need a completion certificate and to get one the cheapest method is not DIY.

So answer to "what do I need" (Again your question) is a scheme registered electrician.

Read about Part P and LABC chargers and you will quickly see this is the correct answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back