How do I save this window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This window is in my stripped out kitchen. I want to know if I can save this or just replace it with a UPVC double glazed unit. The putty around the bottom is completely shot away and the glass is flexing in the reveal. The reveal is full of water so the weather proofing externally has also failed.
If I strip the paint away can the wood be saved.

If it can be repaired how do I go about fixing the glass back in the frame to ensure it remains waterproof.

CIMG0061.jpg

CIMG0059.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you can take the putty out with a chisel, remove the glass and clean up the frame..
i would strip the frame and the window then see how bad they are... if water is comming in they are most likely rotten..

once cleaned up and re painted, run a bead of clear silicone round the inside of the glas rebate, then put the glass back in and re-putty the outside..

since i'm an electrician, this is going entirely on what i've seen on programs like "this old house" and "hometime"...
sound in theory but probably best to just replace with upvc double glazed..
one window shouldn't cost that much.. you can buy it and fit it yourself even..
you will also save in the long run.. no painting it every year and lower heating bills...

i forgot to mention that when you paint the window afterwards make sure the paint goes ONTO the glass a few millimeters.. this is what seals the window..

to hold the glass in before applying the putty you might need to use "glazing points"..
these are small flat metal spikes that you lay on the glass and push into the frame with the putty knife..

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Plastic windows? Ugh...
Absolutely nothing wrong with UPVC windows as long as they are suitable & match the property they are installed in.

don't need to be upvc.. you could get wooden double glazed replacements, but they would be more expensive.

I think I'm going to replace the window with a UPVC that will match in with the others in the flat.
The flat is on the second floor so I've no access externally to the window.
I'm happy on how to remove the window, :confused:

How do I fit the new window and frame without damaging the external area. I can't just pop up a ladder and repoint around the window.
I've assisted in fitting a few windows and I'm happy with the procedure but they've been ground level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back