How do I set the water valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bathroom cupboard there are pipes and valves which control the hot and cold water in a second floor flat ( under the kitchen sink there is no shut off valve)

There are three valves (two control the hot water which feeds into my kitchen sink tap and all bathroom taps) and one controls the cold water feed in the bathroom and kitchen tap.

The water flow needs to be set as the pressure is not right and this happened in my previous flat that I get a rash whenever the flow is not right, when I open the valves fully and the water pressure is too high my rash worsens. My question is how do I set all of the valves in particular the hot water flow rate, should I get a plumber to do this as I am not sure when to stop turning the valves and when to stop as I have nothing to measure them by?

Any advice would be great thank you.

Attachments

• WIN_20170403_11_19_41_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170403_11_19_41_Pro.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 94
  • WIN_20170403_11_19_50_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170403_11_19_50_Pro.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 96
  • WIN_20170403_11_19_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20170403_11_19_58_Pro.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 89
Sponsored Links
Stop turning them when your rash goes away...

Just adjust a little at a time until you're happy with the flow rate. Nobody here can tell you what you find to be acceptable

Thank you for your advice, I turned the red valve which controls the hot water and my rash (looks like hives) has slightly cleared up so I will continue to turn it until I find the right flow. I wonder why the rash appears and disappears when I turn the hot water valve any ideas I don’t think it had been turned in over 40 years.

Thank you for your advice, I turned the red valve which controls the hot water and my rash (looks like hives) has slightly cleared up so I will continue to turn it until I find the right flow. I wonder why the rash appears and disappears when I turn the hot water valve any ideas I don’t think it had been turned in over 40 years.
Are you saying your rash gets worse when you physically touch the valve?
Turning the valve one way or another won't have any effect on the water pressure.
Why don't you regulate the water flow using the bathroom taps instead of using the service valves?
So you were able to turn the '40 year old' valve?
First port of call would be to make an appointment with the quack.

Sponsored Links
I tend to get a rash when I touch washing machine/iron/Hoover/washing line/pegs....

On a serious note Job, it's not something that comes up often in our trade.

If you are getting a rash then it can really only be 2 things. 1 you're allergic to something in the water or you have hyper sensitivity. Either would need a doctor or dermatologist to investigate. The water flow would only be incidental and not to do with the underlying issue I wouldn't think

Any idea where the Pressure reducing valve would be? I need to locate it and set it a little bit lower than it is now but I don't know where I should be looking, thanks.

So there wouldn't be one in the bathroom cupboard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back