Help needed figuring out water taps and valves in flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning everyone,

New to the forum and looking for information to help me figure out plumbing work in my flat. I have provided details to give you an idea of what I may need and would be grateful for advice.

I live on the top floor of a 2nd floor flat in a block of 6 and the cold water is mains fed the hot is fed via a water tank in the building attic.
Flat is circa 1960s
25KW combi gas boiler, DHW is 25kw and heating is 20KWm (2 years old)
57 square metres flat
5 radiators in flat
1.0 bar pressure
Cold water has high pressure (mains fed) hot water is less pressurised (hot feed is via a tank in the attic shared by all those who live in the building)

• One red gate valve (main cold water feed) in a high cupboard outside and above bathroom door A stopcock under the sink on 15mm cold feed pipe and hot water pipe under the sink has a 15mm check valve on it Mains fed water but when I turned both stop cocks off the hot water still runs which makes me think that the attic or somewhere in the building must have a water tank.
  • I did find another stop cock in the kitchen it is boxed in another wall near the bottom of the boiler pipes but when I turned it, it didn't do anything perhaps it was used when the old hot water system cylinder was used.
  • There are two 22mm pipes in the high cupboard and cold water pipe has a 22mm NRV on it but not the hot one.
  • The cold fills a 8 litre bucket in 20 seconds the hot 8 litres in one minute I have single lever mixer taps in the kitchen and bathtub and basin The bathroom and kitchen used to have two hole single taps.
  • Both in the kitchen and bathroom have pipes with isolation valves Do I need check valves of any kind in the bathroom basin and kitchen or does it seem legit as from what I can see I just have isolation valves which turn off the water.
  • When I run the fountain mixer taps in basin and bathtub, when touched one side of water running is cold and the other hot, do I have the right taps for the system as the kitchen tap has a single lever round tap and when I touch the water both sides are balanced e.g warm or hot water and their is no hot side or cold side to the water.
  • Do I need check valves of any kind in the bathroom basin and kitchen or does it seem legit as from what I can see I just have isolation valves which turn off the water.
The kitchen hot pipe feed under sink has a check valve and the basin isolation valves I think, see pics.

Any information to steer me in the right direction would be great thank you all

Attachments

• Kitchen pipes.jpg
    Kitchen pipes.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 93
  • kitchen pipe.jpg
    kitchen pipe.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Basin pipes.jpg
    Basin pipes.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Basin pipe.jpg
    Basin pipe.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Main cold hot water feed pipe.jpg
    Main cold hot water feed pipe.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If you do indeed have a combi boiler, then check valves are not normally required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back