How do I work out what size radiators I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning my refurb and for budgeting reasons I want to start looking at what size radiators I need:
There are so many calculators online but they all give me very different results!

All my external walls are 220mm solid brick and all new walls will be brick insulated cavity block walls (can't wait for that)
Are there any calculators that people can recommend? I've been using the Stelrad one and for the living room it's telling me I need a 11,500 BTU radiator, and for bedroom 4 it's 10,500 which is weird as it's got a heated room below and above it.

Floor 1.png
Floor 2.png

Floor 3.png

Any guides people can recommend? I don't want to hire an expert yet as no work has begun yet.

Sponsored Links
U value of the new and old are vastly different which is why the two hugely different areas requirements are so similar. A lot of plumbers go on 100w per m2, rather than calculate the specific U value. In the old part that will leave you under spec'd. You also have to take account of how quickly you want things to heat up. Personally I would over specify and use TRVs. You wont waste heat over specifying it will just heat up quicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back