How do you repair and fill shrinkage gaps in tongue and groo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there......I have had tongue and groove wood panelling fitted; it has been primed, caulked and eggshelled....problem is lots of the joints have shrunk back......the paint has split....

I have no idea, but many opinions about how to re decorate ....can someone advise

Thanks

Amanda

Sponsored Links
New wood, especially tongue and groove panelling, to be used in a property that is warm/dry, should always be taken into the house, and allowed to "acclimatise", (dry/shrink) for a day or two before using it. That way, when you come to use it, you wont have the shrinkage problem.

Too late for you but it is a good idea to give just the tongue and groove a coat of paint before putting it up.

Sponsored Links
I did ask the joiner to bring the wood to house prior to fitting but would he list ah well that would be a 'no'....the wood appears to still be opening and its been in now nearly 3months.....wondering if I leave it long enough before re painting and filling if it will open again? Oh any ideas re the best filler to use and how to apply this ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back