How to strip gloss from grooves in tongue and groove panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tongue and groove panelling to form a cupboard under the stairs.

I've just stripped off all the gloss to give me a natural wood finish but i still have white gloss in the grooves.

What is the best way to get these annoying grooves rid of the gloss? Would it be best yo use a chemical paint stripper or can i use a sanding drill bit to get in the grooves.

Also there is a rail between the panelling and ceiling/floor which still has white gloss on there. Obvisouly, a heat gun is no good there. What is the best way to strip that back?

In the end I want to paint it back white again but not with gloss because it looks horrible and where it clumps and drips, it looks horrible.

I need to do door frames too which has grooves in there and I can see where the gloss has dried in clumps

Sponsored Links
If you have tried a small wire brush by itself and that doesn't work, I'd go for a chemical stripper followed by wire wool, as a mechanical drill attachment would probably damage the wood.

In the end, if you are going to repaint, you don't need to get every last iota of paint out of the grooves, although the more you can get out the finer the finish will be.

Gloss should not clump and drip if you are a half decent decorator but I do prefer the look of satinwood myself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back