Tongue and groove in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am new to this forum, we have just bought our first house and the bathroom is tongue and groove half way up the walls from the floor (including around the bath) and is painted in a hideous shade of blue! The suite is cream, we are planning on replacing the whole suite eventually (when we can afford it) but want to make it look presentable untill then. My idea was to have some sort of limewash effect and have a sort of seaside feel to it, is it possible to do this over the existing paintwork and if so how? The sink is set into a vanity unit and there is a wooden panel oon the bath and these are varnished wood, I want to paint them to match the tongue and groove - is this also possible? Presumably I will need to waterproof in some way?

All advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
I really hope you get a reply, I like tongue & groove in a bathroom and was also after the seaside type look. The bath panel is fine but around the bath edging is a nightmare - supposed to be waterproof, which I topped up with waterproof varnish but still we get mould urgh weekly scrubbing with bleach and mould remover. Looking for a solution myself Good Luck with yours

Rosie

Hi, our seal is rubbish too, the previous owners have just put on a piece of wood beading and then sealed it on both sides with bath sealant but it looks terrible! mind you will probably be better once it is not painted blue! We are going to go ahead and try painting it so I will keep you posted on how we get on, I love the seaside theme idea - tacky some would prob say but we are going for a classy version, we have bought a gorgeous driftwood mirror and going to print off some holiday beach photos and frame them for pictures (we went to Mauritius for honeymoon last year so got some good ones!) Good luck with yours too

Sponsored Links
what is the t&G painted with?, gloss, emulsion?
what do you mean by lime wash?, some sort of emulsion?
you can paint over gloss with gloss, otherwise hard to get a key for other paints, big job getting it off!
If it is emulsion, easier to paint over when lightly sanded. Personally, you cannot beat tiles in a bathroom, make sure thay are not the sort you hate after five years though- or others will like.
Still, being young you have some time to practice. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back