What comes first, The wall paneling or the bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently re-fitting our bathroom and we have decided to use woodern wall cladding (tongue & groove type) around the lower half of the wall.

What is the best option.

1. Fit the cladding first and then the bath?
2. Fit the bath and then panel upto it?

If option 1 is the way to go will silicon stick to painted cladding.

Sponsored Links
the-shack said:
1. Fit the cladding first and then the bath?
Yes, a lot easier and neat plus if you ever change the bath again !
If option 1 is the way to go will silicon stick to painted cladding.
Yes, the way I've done mine is put a border tiles bedded onto cladding and sitting on the bath rim with sealant and on top of tiles I use tile edge. Fill the bath with water before sealant.

either way is fine

a few points to keep in mind if you clad first and later on you want to change the cladding for another finnish cos you bored with the pine effect or the several shades of paint over the intervening years your very unlikly to get the txg out without taking the bath out you would then have about a one inch gap you move the bath to compensate this could affect your bath pannel and or flooring

if you put the bath in dependant on sort you would have to part fill the bath with water before installing the cladding so when its full it doesnt leave a gap between the panel and bath to big for mastic to stick to and when empty it dosnt put to much strain between bath and pannel
you will also loose about an inch along the edge of the bath [9mm cladding 12mm battons]

if the cladding goes part way up you can finnish it putting a piece of quadrant flat side uplining up with the top batton and top off the txg giving you a ledge of adout 35mm you can then top it with a bit of 4 by 1 [95x21mm]planed with a moulded edge if you have a router glued and screwed at an angle at the back going in through the top of the txg through into the batton

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back