Painting tongue-and-groove loft ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to sort out the best/easiest way to paint the tongue-and-groove ceiling in my new loft room. It's a 5m by 5m room, pitched ceiling, and the tongue and groove boarding appears to have been stained a medium dark brown, and not varnished.

I am planning to paint the ceiling antique white to match the walls, and create a lighter effect. I really don't want to have to use oil-based paint on that large an area! Is it okay to use emulsion on this? If so, do I need to prime/undercoat first, and if so, with what? I don't mind if the woodgrain shows (and it's quite high up, and the lights are point down, so a perfect finish isn't necessary). Any advice much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Would satinwood not be a better bet
I painted my bathroom ceiling which is tongue and groove and it came up great,make sure to put knot sealer on knots before painting.I used a wood primer which went on easily then 2 coats of satinwood

I'm sure satinwood would be much nicer -- but the room is almost 30 square metres, and I don't think I can face doing that in solvent-based paint! (Don't want to start hallucinating while 4 metres up a ladder :confused: .)

Sponsored Links
It will need a good rub down first to give you a key then give it a coat of dulux super grip, Zonseer bin..the water based one or blackfriers problem solving primer..they are all water based and wont smell too bad..allow the dry for a couple of days then coat with emulsion.

PS your doing the right thing by avoiding oil based p[aint on the ceiling..apart from the fumes your cutting down on it being a fire hazard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back