Gloss paint on exterior wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wood on my exterior canopy above the front door still has the original white paint. Which isn't glossa d some areas have started to flake. So I'm considering peeling the paint in the areas where it's flaking with a heat gun and scraper. I want to put gloss white over it all. The areas that I strip back to bare wood, do I need primer before the gloss paint? And can I apply the gloss over the existing paint where it looks good still?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You're probably better off removing all the old paint and using primer, as the paint that looks ok now could become detached and peel at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Depends which exterior paint you use. Something like Superdec is self priming and undercoating, I think. Any loose paint still needs scraping/sanding to a sound surface though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back