exterior painting- order of preperation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry crap title.
Have a house that is 7 years old and the exterior woodwork needs re painting.
The weatherboarding paint is peeling and on the windows there is some bare wood exsposed (mainly where they nailedd the wood but didnt fill it!)

so my "running order" was:

wash down wood work
sand down flaking paint etc

then i get a bit confused
Do I
a) fill holes etc then prime over this
or
b) prime all bare wood then fill any holes etc

then i guess its
undercoat
gloss

on that subject is one coat of undercoat and one of gloss enough

I would rather buy good quality paint and do that than cheap paint and have to do 2 coats of everything

thanks all

Sponsored Links
prime, then fill holes, then sand to get rid of any undulations from the filler. Then undercoat (preferably twice with light sanding in between) then light sand then gloss.

I sort of agree with the above.

I only use the dulux weathershield oil based range.

I spot prime bare wood with the preservative, filler with acrylic undercoat and then everything with the oil based undercoat followed by two coats of gloss.

The undercoat is very thick and I don't like heavy tramlines, hence the two top coats :)

thanks guys

one quick queastion
you said prime with preservative- isthat different from wood primer?
thanks

Sponsored Links
the dulux trade weathersheild primer is a thin blue preservative. It is unlike any other primers on the market and is thinner than water.

you only apply it to the bare wood, wiping it off previously painted areas. If you leave it on the previously painted area you end up having to use extra undercoat to hide the now blue finish (assuming that the old paint was white).

Please note that that the dulux trade paints are vastly superior to the dulux retail paints. Go to a decorators merchants not a diy store

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back