Chipped Gloss On Doors - How To Prepare For New Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you guys prepare timber doors for painting new gloss, where small patches of the old paint is chipped and flaking down to the wood.

The quick way would be to scrape away the flaking paint, prime and undercoat patches of bare wood, remove the sheen from the remaining paint and paint the entire door. However, this obviously wouldn't produce a great finish.

Is stripping all of the paint back down to bare wood the only way forward? Or are there any 'fine fillers' for timber which can be used to produce a smooth surface?

Sponsored Links
Do what you've already said but fill the chipped flaked areas and rub down. Red devil is fine on pre-painted.

Do what you've already said but fill the chipped flaked areas and rub down. Red devil is fine on pre-painted.
That looks like just a normal filler (i.e. Polyfiller), no? Will that be durable on a timber door which obviously shrinks/expands in the seasons? Bearing in mind the filler will only be a fraction (under 1mm) deep to bring the flaked areas flush with the old paint.

I take it wood filler isn't much use at such small depths?

Joe-90, body filler sounds like a good idea!

Sponsored Links
Yep car body filler is fine, the doors will always crack at joins where rails meet muntins, red devil is just really easy to sand, i use toupret now and they have suitable products also.

Kodrin spachtel is excellent on flush doors but its pricey and not worth doing unless your likely to use the whole tin within a few months

Car body filler is wood filler.

Only because they use different fillers to create bulk, the resins are generally the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back