How do you turn off your machine pipes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im having problems with turning off the water in my hot and cold water pipes in my washing machine. It seems that they are not plumbed into my kitchen sink which is baffeling me and everyone iv spoken to about it! Can anyone shed any light on my problem as to why, wen i turn off the water to my sink, the washing machine hose pipes still have a current of water in them

Sponsored Links
If you follow the flexible pipe(s) from the back of the washing machine, you should find an appliance valve (or a pair of them) that you can shut off.

thats the problem, the pipes go under the floor so i cant see where they are going to :(

I don't see what the confusion is.

If the valves are under the floor, then you have to lift the flooring to get at them.

Sponsored Links
everyone just keeps telling me to turn the water supply off at the kitchen sink, which i have dun, but the pipes obviously arent attached to the sink. U cant lift a tiled floor, well u can but it is money i cant afford :( is the likely hood that the valve is under the floor then? i know u cant say for certain but surely wen building a flat they are not going to put valves u need to get to under a floor, this is my confusion/bewilderment...

Remember that I can't see whatever it is you're looking at, so a picture would help.

If you haven't looked in all of the following places then you might have missed the valves:

1. Behind the appliance.
2. Under the sink in the cupboard.
3. Behind the cupboard, hidden by the rear panel.
4. Underneath the cupboard, hidden by the plinth/kick panel.

If the only remaining place is under the floor, then it's only a matter of time until you'll absolutely have to get to them. If now isn't that time, then you could isolate the cold supply at the main stop cock, but where/how you isolate the hot water service depends on what type of boiler and heating system you have.

Yeh i do apprieciate u dont know wat the 'picture ' is so to speak, well the thing is i have so far found out how to turn the hot and cold water off leading to the kitchen sink, I have since managed to turn off the hot water washing machine pipe, from the boiler system, i have managed to turn everyone off except the thing i really need to turn off, which is the cold water washing machine pipe. Out of curiousity, the reason i want to stop the water supply to the pipe is so i can change the valve on it, that has the little blue lever on it that u turn off and on to stop/start the flow of water. When i turn this on, and attach my washing machine hose to it, there is a leak, can you tell me if actually changing the value is the issue here (ps i totally respect the fact if u cant answer that just incase i havent explained what i mean as acuratly as its needed)

that little blue handle is what you are looking for

its the stop cock !!

the hose coming out of the machine is blue ( cold water )

is it the hose needs needs screwed on properly? or the rubber washer is away ?

try tightening the connection of the blue hose connections OR take off the hose from the machine and take to B & Q and get a rubber washer to go in it or buy a new hose

that little blue handle is what you are looking for

its the stop cock !!
Um, no, it isn't - it's the appliance valve.

roboltonw, if the leak is coming from the live side of that valve, or from the spindle, then you need to shut off the mains using your main stop cock, which you should find at the point that the mains water pipe enters your property.

If not, then it's likely that you just need to replace the appliance washer.

Go outside and turn off all the water at the stopcock and while you are on fit some accessible valves.... :idea:

Sorry... I didnt read the above :confused:

hav had a look at where the leak is exactly happpening, it appears that its coming from the blue valve thing, wen its off it doesnt leak but wen its turned on it leaks, does this mean the whole valve needs changing?

In that case the leak is from either (a) spindle or (b) appliance washer.

If (a) then you need to replace the valve, but not if (b).

It's also possible that the hose is faulty. If you turn off the valve and dry it thoroughly with tissue paper, then get a bright torchlight on it and turn on slowly, you should be able to see which it is.

ok i dun wat u said, and wen i turn the blue lever on, the drips start to come out of the acutally blue thing, right at the bottom corner of it, the corner where the screw is on the blue lever

the drip appears to be coming out of the bottom end of the blue lever, the corner where the screw on it is

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back