How does boiler CH temperature effect hot water temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an Ideal Logic Heat 12, Megaflow tank and standard (S plan ?) plumbing for radiator valves and hot water cylinder. It all seems to work ok but I’m confused by the boiler temperature control.

The manual says it ranges from 30 to 80 with an E setting at about the 2 o’clock position. If I set the control to a lower than E setting I’m told it will save money and run the radiators cooler. If I do that, how does the hot water get to the recommended 60c for bacterial protection ?

With HW scheduled to be on, I’ve tried setting the boiler control to about 11 o’clock and the system fires up as expected. After a while the boiler stops firing but it seems the pump keeps running and the HW cylinder valve stays open as if the cylinder thermostat hasn’t reached the required temperature. This would make sense if the flow temperature was say 50c.

As far as I can see there is only one flow into the Megaflow cupboard and this is split by the valves to either / both the cylinder and radiator circuits. So how do I get the cylinder to 60c but run the radiators cooler ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back