How easy is it to fit a new base unit in kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm probably one of the worlds worst DIYers. I can barely hang a curtain rail!

My kitchen has a base unit missing, so basically I just have 1500mm space under the work top.

I wanted to buy this:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Memphis-Base-Unit-1000mm/p/160838

I was then hoping to install it underneath the work top. I would then get someone round to saw the work top down to match the length, and the space at the end I would put the free standing fridge.

I was then going to buy matching doors from Wickes to replace all the other cupboards.

Is this something that even I could manage?

EDIT

Just looked at the replacement doors and they are different size to my current ones.

My current doors are 500x710.5

The new ones from wickes are 600 wide so way too big[/b]

Sponsored Links
Kitchen doors are available in standard sizes, like 500mm or 600mm. If you're putting a 1000mm unit in you'll need 2x500mm doors for it, but your theory is good.

edit... the big fridges are often 600mm wide, so you's possibly be better with an 800mm wide unit (with 2x400mm doors), and a 100mm space (or blank piece).

Kitchen doors are available in standard sizes, like 500mm or 600mm. If you're putting a 1000mm unit in you'll need 2x500mm doors for it, but your theory is good.

edit... the big fridges are often 600mm wide, so you's possibly be better with an 800mm wide unit (with 2x400mm doors), and a 100mm space (or blank piece).

Thanks Alan, I've measured my fridge and there is room if I got a 1000mm unit.

I'm getting a quote from a kitchen refurb company just to see if that's worth it.

I need to do loads in kitchen:

Remove tiling using a heat gun as it's stuck down
Get side cut down a bit
Get new cupboard in
New flooring
New doors + draws

I'd also love to have the work top + sink replaced - obviously I'd need a proper company in to do that.

You've got loads to do and you're bound to run into some problems. You say that you're going to have to get a professional in for some of it. You need to think about the order in which you're going to do things - if you're changing the worktop, it might be easier to fit your new cabinet whilst the old one is off, for example. Does your floor go under the cabinets? If so, changing it before you fit the cabinet would be a good idea, then you won't have to fit it twice! Do you have a kick board along the bottom of the cabinets? What are you going to do for the new one - add another bit or replace the entire length.

Cutting worktop and laminate- or foil-faced board is tricky and, if not done well, will look crap. It may be worth getting a handyman, carpenter or builder to come and look at the work first. (S)he could help you decide how much of it you could do yourself. The doors and drawer fronts should be easy enough.

Don't screw it up or your other half will never forgive you! ;) :LOL:

Alternatively, you could just buy a separate under-counter fridge and freezer...

Sponsored Links
You've got loads to do and you're bound to run into some problems. You say that you're going to have to get a professional in for some of it. You need to think about the order in which you're going to do things - if you're changing the worktop, it might be easier to fit your new cabinet whilst the old one is off, for example. Does your floor go under the cabinets? If so, changing it before you fit the cabinet would be a good idea, then you won't have to fit it twice! Do you have a kick board along the bottom of the cabinets? What are you going to do for the new one - add another bit or replace the entire length.

Cutting worktop and laminate- or foil-faced board is tricky and, if not done well, will look crap. It may be worth getting a handyman, carpenter or builder to come and look at the work first. (S)he could help you decide how much of it you could do yourself. The doors and drawer fronts should be easy enough.

Don't screw it up or your other half will never forgive you! ;) :LOL:

Alternatively, you could just buy a separate under-counter fridge and freezer...

Thanks for your advice, sounds very very useful!

I think I will post a picture (probably tomorrow). The work top has NOTHING underneath, so nothing to fit.

So I think I need to (in order):

1) get all the flooring up
2) get the work top cut down to size
3) get new flooring fitted
4) get new cupboard installed
5) replace all the other doors to match the new design (this includes the plinths and all that stuff)

and MAYBE

5) get new sink
6) get new work tops

Just worried that I have to get ALL the doors and draw covers to match. I.e. what if I can't find one particular size to match, as an example there is a cupboard above the oven which is 59.5cm x 39cm.

That's what makes me think maybe I should just pay a company say £1K to overhaul it

Some more points to consider...

Check your fridge with the door fully open. Often the door "overhangs" to the hinge side so a 600mm fridge becomes 660mm wide etc. Also if you put the fridge against a wall, then when you open the door the handle hits the wall thus preventing you from opening the fridge fully, thus preventing you from getting the salad drawer out. Therefore you might be better with a space at the "wall side".

As per EightyTwo's advice, cutting the worktop will look crap if not done properly, and might need removed to be cut anyway. Worktops are generally screwed from/to the top of the cabinets and aren't difficult to take off. Consider new worktops, with laminate being maybe £30/metre. The tricky but is corners and the sink.

What type of tiles are you removing with a heat gun? If they're ceramic floor tiles then it's a bolster and hammer you need, and a thick pair of gloves. If they're ceramic wall tiles then you can often cut out a piece of wall complete with the tiles attached, depending on wall construction. Obviously the wall then needs replaced.

There's lots of choice in cabinet door/drawers/oven filler panels etc. For example have a look a B&Q website for an idea of what's available "off the shelf". Bear in mind that a B&Q door might have different hinge points from Wickes etc, so might need some modification. You can also buy doors online with hinge points to your sizes.

I've asked a company called "Kitchen Magic" (www.kitchen-magic.com) to come out to see me on Tuesday.

They do refurbs but have a minimum order of £2k as they have to measure up and get specific items made. It may be a rip off, or it may be decent, not sure until they come I guess.

I thought it may be better to get a company in as I also would like work tops doing and sink.

So instead of doing a half job and probably messing it up, or not making much of a difference, I could get a very good job done, which could make the whole kitchen appear fresh and modern.

I've found another similar company and will ask them to come out too, to compare quotes and options.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back